Food
Recently, I have taken into cooking and have been constantly thinking about what to cook for lunch or dinner. It's actually quite interesting and fun to concoct our own recipes or finding easy ones to try out. Perhaps it all started out from our KS Singaporean attitude that bought us lots of cheap vegetables that no expensive fridge would be able to preserve. So we were forced to start using them before they went bad.
Currently, we have lots of potatoes and carrots to eat before they go bad. Carrots were 1 Euro for 3 kg while potatoes were 1 Euro for 5 kg! What a bargain! How could we have let it go! So yes, now were are stuck with the problem/delight of finding ways to cook them. I've eaten mash potatoes, mash potatoes with carrots, potato with pasta sauce, potato as rice, and potato as a spread on my bread. yum yum (:
Carrots were put into every pasta dish and vegetable dish that we prepared. It was starting to get mouldy so we skinned the poor carrots till they look like orange little match sticks. But I like my carrots! They taste really healthy and sweet!
Last week, we visited a Chinese supermarket and found treasures by the name of prawns, soya sauce, chilli sauce and cheap eggs! When we got back, we realised that our Broccoli was turning soft so we decided it was time to stir fry some veg! Desiree and I cooked Broccoli & Carrots as our veg. Wanting to use the ingredients we had just bought, we decided to cook a very simple garlic chilli prawns dish! With the help of google! C'est beau!
The food we had the day at Audrey's was lip smacking good! Audrey wanted a Singapore dinner so she invited her Italian and Canadian room mates to join us, 5 other singaporeans and a Korean. We took quite long to prepare the food. We had sweet and sour pork (which was fantastic!) curry chicken, Tom yum seafood soup, broccoli and cauliflower and carrots, and rice of course! yummy! I'm so grateful we had such an opportunity to eat a lavish dinner!
Never did I dream that I would be able to eat such a sumptuous home-cooked Chinese meal in France. I was so prepared to come here to eat all their pastries and live on pasta and baguette and never see Chinese food except through the glass display cabinets in the overpriced Chinese Restaurants.
And that wasnt all. Melissa took the initiative to organise another gathering at her place where she cooked bakuteh, chai sim, egg omelette, sweet ginger chicken, and fried rice. I must say she's really a good cook! What do you expect, she's the one who cooks at home for her family!
I'm keeping a document of things that I want to cook or have cooked. I cant wait to try out the recipes (: Keeps my day exciting! haha!
I'm thankful I have a kitchen in my room. Though it's really small and there's not much space, I feel it's already a luxury. Funny how I only realise the joy of cooking after coming to a place where it's harder to cook. People are just so weird. haha!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home